letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Elton John  (Read 2733 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Elton John
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:18:11 pm »

Say what you will about this guy, but man oh man...he pretty much took over when the Beatles went their separate ways. Took over as in....wrote a ton of great songs.

This is great performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2e4NlnLr28

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Elton John
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:13:45 am »

If a person was not alive and aware in the early to mid-seventies, they can't truly understand just how popular Elton John was then. He was everywhere...on records, TV shows, mags....he was the first pop/rock mega-star of my lifetime. I just missed the Beatles as an active group, so Elton was the Next Big Thing. The fact that he's still out there making music....just wow.

And for my money, still the best Beatle cover ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYelLpKjEw
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:24:28 am by Mervap »
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

rory storm

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:52:35 am »

I was six in 1975 and I recall really being blown away by his mega-hit "Philadelphia Freedom".And yes,much like the disco thing that peeked just a bit after,one would have certainly seemed hard pressed to get away from the whole Elton thing.Bernie Taupin remains one of my favorite lyricists and "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" one of my favorite tear jerkers.Of course as we all know here,Elton's Beatle connection is quite abundant....

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:19 pm »

Yeah, I'd love to witness the writing process between Elton and Bernie. I can't really get my head around it really. Bernie gives him lyrics/poems and Elton creates this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saIhPu4fOR0

Crazy.

rory storm

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 08:48:27 am »

These things aren't linear.There's a certain inherent mysterious chemistry involved in these sorts of artisan pairings.But I will say this.Taupin's words should inspire ANYONE with a penchant for artistic expression on ANY level.Such vision and fortitude of insight.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 05:12:11 pm »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:43:04 am »

New song from Elton's upcoming new CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kP-7moQKd9M#at=64

Not too bad, it is quite a nice track and I see a lot of positive comments written below proclaiming it an unbelievable track and he hit it out of the park. In the grand scheme of things, 'Home Again' is to 'Candle In The Wind' like what 'Your Loving Flame' is to 'Maybe I'm Amazed' if you get my drift. A nice track, not a bad song.. in fact quite a lovely melody.. but the magic for making a timeless classic is fast disappearing. But I do live in hope. No matter what you think of him as a person, he's been such a great talent over the years. Mervap is right, he was the soundtrack of the 1970s. Without him, we sure would have a lot less classic songs in the world.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 06:35:53 am »

I like that song, quite nice, but as Kyle said, Elton's window for the creation of "timeless" songs is closing. Outside of both being piano ballads, I don't see a lot in common with this song and "Candle In the Wind", although I don't think Kyle was making a direct comparison. The theme of this tune was more general....."Candle" was VERY specific. Love the production on the new one.....very quiet and.....hmmmm, luxurious.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:14:08 am »

like what 'Your Loving Flame' is to 'Maybe I'm Amazed' if you get my drift.

Totally get your drift. I like the song too....then I thought about another song I like but haven't really listened to since, and it's Paul's I Want To Come Home....from the De Niro movie.

Though, I'm still amazed that either one of these guys can come up with new songs after writing so many. :o

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 08:30:46 am »

Isn't that the truth? Wouldn't most people give their eye teeth to write a song HALF as good as "Maybe I'm Amazed"? I sure would...

lampie1970

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 08:31:02 pm »

hmpf...I don't have any eye teeth....what would I give? lol

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:54 am »

I like that song, quite nice, but as Kyle said, Elton's window for the creation of "timeless" songs is closing. Outside of both being piano ballads, I don't see a lot in common with this song and "Candle In the Wind", although I don't think Kyle was making a direct comparison. The theme of this tune was more general....."Candle" was VERY specific.

Noo, what I meant was a comparison on the grounds of pure quality. Candle in the Wind is a 10/10, Home Again is a polite 7. Maybe I'm Amazed is a 10/10, Your Loving Flame is a respectful 7 at best.

Bottom line = they don't make 'em like they used to. The law of diminishing returns applies to more than just the field of economics..  :P

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 08:40:33 am »

Does this apply to Bernie too? is he only writing 7 lyrics?

I still wonder how many songs these guys throw away because after it's done somebody says....hmmm....sounds a bit like another song you wrote. :o

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 10:00:11 am »

Does this apply to Bernie too? is he only writing 7 lyrics?

Whole package.. it's about the whole package! Dylan wrote many timeless lyrics that some would argue ramble on and on because it's the same screechy melody spread over umpteen verses.. the classics are the ones that find that perfect balance of overall greatness, I reckon. Even Dylan was able to sometimes apply that balance, and those songs are etched into history, as are the Beatle songs and many many Elton John/Bernie Taupin classics.

DazedOblivion

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 06:31:09 pm »

Songs like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Daniel" and "Tiny Dancer" were being played on the radio when I first started getting into listening to the radio and shaped my taste for songs with good melody. The music of Elton John - especially during his early years - remains high on my list of pop music greatness.