letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The Duckworth Lewis Method  (Read 1421 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
The Duckworth Lewis Method
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:09:23 pm »

One of the most insane albums ever done about cricket....actually, one of only two I know of, both by these guys. Well worth a listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0iy6cgRE4
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: The Duckworth Lewis Method
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:11:58 pm »

Hehe...don't you just love watching musicians having fun? :)  Thanks for that Merv...pretty cool.  8)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:34:42 am »

I'm surprised you guys up there know about cricket.. we love it here in New Zealand. It's been our most popular summer sport for over a century now.

Those guys sound a bit like Chas & Dave.. or perhaps like a Ringo way of doing things. The Duckworth Lewis method is of course, when a match is affected by rain and the opposing team chases a lower total of runs - worked out mathematically according to how much time is left in the day and how many 'overs' can be fitted in for the team to chase that total. So, a team may have scored 290 runs in their 50 overs, but rain came down and washed out several hours of play. The Duckworth Lewis method is applied and the chasing team now has to chase say, 195 runs inside 21 overs. It can get quite controversial as the method often heavily favours the team batting first, and the team batting second faces enormous pressure to chase less runs but in much less time - at a higher run rate.

Great game though - and very English!!  ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 12:43:46 pm »

I am a baseball fan and recognize that baseball had its origins in a number of other games, cricket being one of them. The Duckworth Lewis Method (band) are Irish, which is close enough to love the game. They have now done two albums that are entirely based upon the sport and pack in enough killer melodies as to make the lyrical content almost irrelevant. I was telling Two that they remind me of ELO and Macca, crossed the kinder side of Monty Python.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:20:25 pm by Mervap »
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?