letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Kyle's DVD Review: 'The Strat Pack: Live In Concert'  (Read 2185 times)

kylenz

• Email
Kyle's DVD Review: 'The Strat Pack: Live In Concert'
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:27:19 am »

Kyle's Review: 'The Strat Pack: Live In Concert'

I was given this 2005 DVD from a workmate to watch over the weekend. Having been a fan of all-star concerts since the old Live Aid / Prince's Trust days, and also my favourite guitar of all-time is the classic American Fender Stratocaster with blonde maple neck - I was keen to give this a good look. Here's the guts of the good.. and the not-so-good!

The Crickets with Brian May and Albert Lee - the drummer was so cool to watch, with his jazz style - doing so much with minimal effort. And cool to see the 'real' Strats in action - my definition of a Strat sound - not the horrible heavily-chorused sounds we hear from Dave Gilmour in the 80s and beyond. Brian May did the lead vocals and he didn't sound assured, but he did an ok job.

Hank Marvin - was good to see Hank in action, looking a lot like ol' Cliffy! He did 'Apache' of course. And he also did a wicked jam with his son Ben Marvin, who undertook more heavier hard rock lines in contrast to Hank's cleaner style. Good blend of youth with the old. Enjoyable to watch.

Theresa Andersson - never heard of her before but she came on in a short skirt and with a tall hot brunette bass player!! I was hooked!! But unfortunately her singing was a bit rough at times, not always on point.

Albert Lee - to me, this guy is a bit of a journeyman player, not really famous for anything in particular except for maybe playing with Eric Clapton for awhile. But he showed some nice fluid chops doing some fast picking country styles, so credit to him for that.

Paul Carrack - horrible - absolutely horrible. He did an ok job of his song 'How Long', but then he went on to murder 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'I Can't Dance'. It was really embarrassing. Every time he went to sing that high falsetto note in "IIIIIIIIII can't dance.. IIIIIIIIII can't sing", his voice cracked and could never reach that note - he should not have attempted this. Mind you, this is the same monster behind that ghastly 80s song 'The Living Years' by Mike + The Mechanics. :/

Gary Moore - yeah he was good. Did a really awesome job of 'Red House' (Jimi Hendrix). He could really do with losing a few pounds though.

Jamie Cullum - why was this guy on here?! He's got nothing to do with Strats! He did the Jimi Hendrix song 'Angel', but his piano playing could not fill in all the beatiful intricate lines that Hendrix put into that song. You simply should not attempt this song on piano just vamping chords. He sucked.

Amy Winehouse - I know it's not nice to speak ill of the dead, but she was horrible too. And she had no place being on this billing - what on earth has she got to do with Fender Stratocasters? Her singing was so bad, I could not make out any of the words she was saying.

Paul Rodgers - he was really great! Easily the best vocalist at the show. For a guy pushing 60, he looked half his age in fitness and energy. He could easily pass for a guy in his 30s. He did an amazing performance of his classic Free hit 'All Right Now'. Jaw-dropping. And with Brian May doing the iconic riff on lead guitar. He also had his son and daughter with him on stage. The son Steve wasn't much of a singer (not quite a chip off the ol' block!), but his daughter Jasmine Rodgers did her own song and WOW!! She was brilliant. Really awesome. Fell in love with her right on the spot! 

Joe Walsh - Pretty good. Solid playing and great singing, on key, great power and range. Showcased all his best tracks with his funky style from the James Gang to the Eagles to his solo hit 'Life's Been Good'.

Phil Manzanera - came out and played one really cool psyched-out track and then sank into the background. Such a shame.

David Gilmour - the moment he came on, he pretty much sent me to sleep. Simply the most boring guitar player who ever existed. Singing wasn't that great either. Songs were so dull you would wake up from a nap hours later and still feel it was the same song. There was no escape.

Ronnie Wood - Horrible. An absolutely terrible singer. He can't sing at all. Whose braindead idea was it to have him close out the show?

Special mention: Pino Palladino - for his stellar bass playing throughout as part of the backing band for all the artists. He is obviously a great student of music to learn each and every song and play them all to such a high standard. I tip my hat to him.

Also, special mention to: Wix Wickens. God knows he's fashioned a long career playing behind all kinds of famous artists such as Paul McCartney and Nik Kershaw. His choices of keyboard sounds are always fake and tacky-sounding - they never sound nice.

Overall, worth the watch. Some cool stuff, some utterly dreadful dross. But all par for the course when it comes to these kinds of concerts. Well, off now to watch the DVD of 'ZZ Top - Live From Texas' (also borrowed from my workmate)!

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Kyle's DVD Review: 'The Strat Pack: Live In Concert'
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:56:01 am »

Thanks for that Kyle.  :)

Pretty surprised about Carrack though. He's been one of the great singers for a lot of years. Bad day maybe? Hey, you can't blame him for the Living Years.  ;)

Yeah, Paul Rogers....Merv mentioned him in the singers thread...errr...or was going to hehe ;)

The Strat Pack...hahah...that's kind of brilliant. I hope they do more of that. :)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 05:50:19 pm »

Point of order, Kyle....Gary Moore is dead also. 2011. In Spain, of all places.  :-[
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 02:17:00 am »

Maybe Carrack had a bad night, 'How Long' (his old Ace hit) was done pretty well, but all downhill from there.

The ZZ Top dvd I watched after that was pretty solid! Had to laugh though, they had these synchonised moves onstage that reminded me of the way Hank Marvin does the tango with his guitar!  ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:19:14 am »

Saw another documentary on YouTube today, called 'Sound City' - well worth checking out. All the great bands recorded there - Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Pat Benatar, Rick Springfield, Neil Young, Nirvana.. you name it.. they were all there.