News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New  (Read 5731 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Re: New
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 09:08:37 pm »

I just read the review in The Guardian. Oh brother. He thinks the best song on the album is Early Days and if the album had more songs like that, it would be better. Right. Early Days is the worst song on the album IMHO. Oh well, at least he managed to get through a review without mentioning Radiohead. It's a miracle.  >:(

Also, the song NEW....does NOT SOUND LIKE GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE. Holy Heck....I've seen that mentioned a half dozen times now. Jeesh...what a stretch that is.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 01:08:35 am »

I just read the review in The Guardian. Oh brother. He thinks the best song on the album is Early Days and if the album had more songs like that, it would be better. Right. Early Days is the worst song on the album IMHO.

My sentiments exactly! For me, the weakest song was was 'Hosanna', but boy that song has grown on me in all its gloriously enchanting psychedelia.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 08:50:42 pm »

Everybody Out There...sounds great Live.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiP7Lllkt8

Derek

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 06:37:06 am »

I bought it, put it on my ipod. I listened to it all the way through or tried to, need to again, there were some disturbences but so far it seemed to enjoy it a bit more than MAF. i am not good at giving reviews so do not expect a good one, but it does sound like something comparable to his "Tug of War" period which i like.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 02:39:41 am »

How is everyone feeling about this album now the dust has settled? I have to admit I haven't been playing it much & I am thinking that Paul's aged voice isn't so great, it used to be fantastic. Maybe he needs to do more instrumental work and/or use some guest vocalists. Brian Wilson who is another ageing artist that i really love has a similar issue but it doesn't worry me so much because he has a support band with tons of vocal talent & Brian's voice has plenty of character.

Paul has delivered a lot of great music and I'll keep getting his stuff if he keeps releasing it. But I suspect, for me, it may be a case of diminishing returns. Paul owes us nothing, he's produced a large body of good work and i am grateful for it.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 03:01:11 am »

Yep, I'm still playlisting it on my android and still digging it. But I have deleted the tracks where Paul's 'aged' voice isn't so strong, such as on Early Days and Hosanna. My favourite songs are still 'I Can Bet' and 'Looking at Her'. Voice is primo on both those tunes.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 09:43:26 am »

I'm still playing it too...in the car. I can't figure out why I like it in the car, but never listen to it in the house. I skip songs too though. I've thought for many years how "interesting" it would be, if Paul gave 10 songs to some young band and said...go nuts. Just to see what would happen. :) I'm still think Paul writes really good songs, that if done by somebody "not Paul" would receive a ton of love.
Pages: 1 [2]