News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New  (Read 5729 times)

kylenz

• Email
New
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:16:36 am »

Thought it would be good to start a thread on Paul's latest album. Well it just came out in New Zealand today (first in the world, yay!) and on first listen, it is really really impressive. I think this could be his strongest album since 'Flowers in the Dirt'. There are at least 7 tracks that are knockouts and each song has their own hidden depth.

There are a couple of songs where I think his voice isn't quite up to par and is sounding a bit croaky, but on 80% of the album he is sounding MAGNIFICENT vocally! He is still delivering super-high falsettos with beautiful clarity, and he can still flat-out ROCK!

My picks at the moment are 'Save Me', 'Queenie Eye', 'I Can Bet' and 'Looking At Her', and there are a couple of growers which I believe will continue to reward with every listen, such as 'Alligator and 'On My Way To Work'.

One thing I've noticed, is the brilliant lyric-writing, He will be telling a story, then turn it on its head with the unexpected. There is an energy to it almost as if it's his first album, itching to prove oneself. And the songs are ambitious, not just straightforward verse/chorus/verse stuff - it's quite progressive compared to a lot of what you will hear in the pop/rock field these days. This is not the record of a 71-year-old!

Stylewise, you'll hear a bit of everything we've come to expect from Macca. I think there's a strong 'Fireman' element to the album - but the songs are better than anything you'll get on a Fireman album. You've got the likes of 'Everybody Out There' which reminds me of that Off The Ground era, but I think this is better than most of that Off The Ground-era material. I think if this album is to be better than Flowers in the Dirt or Tug Of War, it would need a 'My Brave Face' or 'This One' - strong singles. What it does have, are a slew of 'Figure Of Eight's - good decent and interesting rockers.

I enjoy the diverse sounds he employs on every song - you'll hear electronic/modern style production, you'll hear gritty guitars, you'll hear soothing guitars, you'll hear Cars-style synth keyboards, you'll hear random tomtom drums and backing vocals coming from each speaker. The inventive approach to production reminds me a bit of Press To Play.. maybe in some ways it's almost like a sequel to that album.

Can't wait to play this on repeat all weekend! Definitely one of the best albums I've heard this year, and could very well be The best.

8/10 on first listen.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: New
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:36:00 pm »

Chomping at the bit now.....glad it's good!
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 06:00:29 pm »

I have a new favourite now... 'ROAD' - man.. that song is mindblowing!!!! It takes you on a heck of a trip and has the nastiest coolest piano riff I've ever heard.. in tandem with some of his finest basswork. Listening to this album 3rd time round has brought tears to my eyes. I'm thinking "man, he's making exactly the kind of music that I like to listen to", and then I realise

"well he's been with me all my life, since I was four years old and my older brother brought home 'Red Rose Speedway' and 'Band On The Run'.."

:-*

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »

It's nice to see it getting some pretty good reviews.....and when the review I read is not so kind, the comments pretty much prove that the review is worthless. Gotta love it. :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 08:13:35 pm »

I've only read one review so far http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/10/08/paul-mccartney-new-2013/ and though he's given quite a glowing review, he's not really going into detail on the really cool stuff going on. I mean, this not some tired middle-of-the-road effort, he's really breaking some new ground here. The song 'Looking At Her' for example.. it's like 'Arrow Through Me' from Back To The Egg but suddenly juxtaposed with an electro/alternative band like MGMT and voila! you have an indie rock masterpiece with perfect balance of tension and release - menace and fluidity.

You have the surprising 'Alligator' which starts out a bit like 'Rough Ride' from Flowers in the Dirt' but then breaks out in a completely different direction THEN you have this hook sung in a really high falsetto register that Macca is nailing like a 19 year old and it's very stunning to witness.

You've got the 'On My Way To Work' that starts out a bit like the wistful pop style on Flaming Pie but then suddenly it takes on this extra edge that shows it's been well-honed and crafted, much like a Beatles song would've been done.

You've got the rocking opener 'Save Me' that could easily pass for a Foo Fighters song. There's a definite Dave Grohl influence on this track. Maybe it's like the Junior's Farm vibe on 'Only Mama Knows' on Memory Almost Full but he's been able to create something that's not really like that at all, it's got that spontaneous and theatrical feel.. dramatic background harmonies. He's really worked hard bit time to sculpt each track - they haven't just been churned out, it's nice to hear an album that's been well thought-out in how it should sound.

And you've got 'Road' which is just superb. It's 'Pretty Little Head' part 2.. well it's not even anything like Pretty Little Head... but I get this whole Press To Play feel of just trying different things on each track. 'Queenie Eye' reminds me a lot of 1972-era The Move 'Message From The Country' album.. or maybe a flash of the Super Furry Animals indie/glam rock/power pop.

It's just awesome. I loved 'Chaos' (wasn't too keen on Driving Rain), Memory Almost Full was good but I didn't think it was as consistent as Chaos & Creation. New has the same high level of songwriting as Chaos but it is also more inventive in its overall presentation. It's way better than Flaming Pie and Off The Ground, at least on a par with Press To Play, probably not up there with the likes of BOTR and RRS/Ram etc because it may lack one or two sizzling hit singles like BOTR/Jet/Let Me Roll It (which let's face it, not many albums have!) but definitely in the same league as Flowers in the Dirt and maybe even Tug Of War. To get an album this good from Macca in 2013 is such a blessing. <3

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 10:18:54 am »

My new fav is.....Looking At Her....dang I love songs that are all over the place and actually work. hahah ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:33:15 am »

I am digging the overall vibe of these songs and like that Paul is trying lots of new things, but so far "New" has left my socks on my feet. I suspect I will eventually find this album's home in my head. "Chaos" was very much the same experience for me.....after a short time, I connected with it. "Memory" was a much more immediate CD for me. "Alligator" reminds me of "Mr. Bellamy", at least in the second half. I will post a more complete review later.....

BTW....has anyone else gotten to the hidden track at the end of "Get Me Out of Here"? My sock came off....almost! Wasn't so much the tune as the bare approach and honest-sounding lyric. Unusual for Macca in the past, but something he seems to be getting more comfortable with as he ages.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:52:32 am by Mervap »

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 07:31:19 pm »

I hadn't realised it was out yet. Looks like I'll have to wait until Tuesday to get it. I'm glad people are liking it.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 08:31:09 pm »

Only officially released in New Zealand right now. US official release on Tuesday. I got an advance copy through an old buddy....

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 09:31:12 pm »

:o ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 12:23:48 am »

BTW....has anyone else gotten to the hidden track at the end of "Get Me Out of Here"? My sock came off....almost! Wasn't so much the tune as the bare approach and honest-sounding lyric. Unusual for Macca in the past, but something he seems to be getting more comfortable with as he ages.

I don't have 'Get Me Out Of Here'.. our local music store didn't have the deluxe version only the standard edition, so mine stops at 'Road' (but wow what a powerful way to finish!). But there is a hidden track playing after Road, a nice piano ballad, I guess that's the one you heard?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 06:18:38 am »

That's the one, Kyle....starts with, "I'm scared to say I love you...".

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:09:37 am »

our local music store didn't have the deluxe version only the standard edition
Grrr Grrr double Grrr. >:(  What the heck is the deal with "editions" ? Makes NO sense to me at all.  ::)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:30:51 am »

I got my copy today. I've got to say it's really nice to get a new Paul McCartney album. It usually takes me a while to wrap my head around a new album, so my comments now will be provisional.

I am sure i am going to enjoy this album. I think he made the right choice using a variety of producers, for me it all hangs together fine, but having a mix of producers does give a nice diversity of musical colours and styles. There are some nice little experiments in sound, nothing too radical, there is also plenty of simplicity.

As for it being the best album since A, B or C, well I like a lot of Paul's recent albums, particularly Chaos and Creation and Flaming Pie, I see it as sufficiently different from them, but time will tell if i like it more or less. I don't think he has made any major breakthroughs with this one, but more than breakthroughs I want something that is a joy to listen to and i think this is.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 07:57:32 pm »

I found out today that NEW is driving music. In the car today, it shot up to a whole new level. Just about every song is perfect as you cruise along. It's the best driving music....................In the World!(my best Jeremy Clarkson impression)  ;D
Pages: [1] 2