letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Something My Dad Wrote Many, Many Years Ago...  (Read 2171 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Something My Dad Wrote Many, Many Years Ago...
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:59:55 pm »

Many of you may know that my parents split up when I was about 5, and that I didn't see him again for 8 years...I only say this to give some perspective. A few years after he left, he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis...as part of his therapy, he began writing poetry. I read the small, pamphlet-like book he got published back then and didn't think much of it. I mean, I thought it was good, but my history with him prevented me from having any kind of objective opinion. I found this poem pressed in one of my Mom's dictionaries today while doing some cleaning...time has given me some clarity about what his feeling might have been, as I am now a couple of years older than he was when he wrote this.

"I have traced, re-traced
 And chased again,
 The fleeting dreams of life
 And of life again, without rue.

Leaning toward the winds of time,
 I feel the soft breeze of forever
 Placed for eternity
 Gently behind my cheek."

I know for a fact he had some regrets.....since he recently passed on, it puts this verse into greater focus.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

Re: Something My Dad Wrote Many, Many Years Ago...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:18:49 pm »

I just read that about 8 times over and over.  I don't have words to describe what my feelings are from that; it's a very complex thread of ideas.  It's just a brilliant piece of writing, and thanks for sharing the poem and background with all of us Mervap.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Something My Dad Wrote Many, Many Years Ago...
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »

He was a complex guy, my Dad, and oftentimes didn't have a reason for some of the things he did...oddly, even though he pretty much abandoned us for those years, I didn't doubt his love for me.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?