letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Classic Songs You Hate  (Read 1552 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Classic Songs You Hate
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:14:16 pm »

I know, I know....a negative thread. But what the heck  ;D

Freebird. Drives me bonkeroonies.(short trip)  ;D

kylenz

• Email
Re: Classic Songs You Hate
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 12:38:46 am »

Freebird. Drives me bonkeroonies.(short trip)  ;D

Same here!!! It goes on and on and onnn... But funnily enough I have been listening to a fair bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd lately as a friend gave me a live dvd of theirs to watch (Vicious Cycle Tour 2003, it's on YouTube too free of charge!!) and they are also coming to New Zealand early next year (along with Starship and 10cc - would really love to see Graham Gouldman & co!).

I used to also hate 'Sweet Home Alabama' as much as Freebird. Just the same 3 chords over and over, same tune throughout the whole thing. Then Kid Rock or Uncle Kracker or someone horrible tried to pass off the song as theirs too. And there's also 'Werewolves of London' by Warren Zevon.. same guitar riff! Arrgh!

If I were to put forward one nomination it would be a tie between 'Comfortably Numb' and 'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd. They're supposed to be ROCK songs, but they send me to sleep!  ;D

DazedOblivion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:29:07 am »

I've always wondered about this common aspect of some of the better songs of Southern Rock: they start out wonderfully but they end in a state of overly-repetitive, almost "revivalist" fervor and go on far too long for my liking. "Rambin' Man" by the Allman Brothers Band and "Green Grass and High Tides" by the Outlaws are other examples. Often, I will end the songs early, which I feel kinda bad about, yet I'm ready to move on!

One of the songs I've never cared that much for is "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye".

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 08:04:36 am »

I would have to say that most of the songs of which you speak tend to fall in love with a "Dueling Guitar Solos" fadeout OR a "Dual Guitars" fadeout. "Rambling Man" is an excellent example of the latter and "Flirting With Disaster" by Molly Hatchet is a fine example of the former.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?