letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: 3 Paul McCartney news updates  (Read 2069 times)

Peregrine9

3 Paul McCartney news updates
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:21:29 am »

The Times Picayune
12/2/2013
Paul McCartney's 'New' album proves you can teach an old Beatle new tricks

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2013/12/paul_mccartneys_new_album_prov.html

Ultimate Classic Rock
12/1/2013
41 Years Ago: The BBC Bans ‘Hi Hi Hi’ by Paul McCartney and Wings

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-wings-hi-hi-hi-banned/

RollingStone Music
50 Best Albums of 2013
12/2/2013
4 - Paul McCartney, 'New'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/50-best-albums-of-2013-20131202/paul-mccartney-new-19691231
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon

2 of 3

• Email
Re: 3 Paul McCartney news updates
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:12:00 am »

RollingStone Music
50 Best Albums of 2013
12/2/2013

Well well well.....Macca at Number 4. Hmm...I may have to reconsider my opinion of RS.  ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:39:44 am »

RollingStone Music
50 Best Albums of 2013
12/2/2013

Well well well.....Macca at Number 4. Hmm...I may have to reconsider my opinion of RS.  ;D

Yeah! A very favourable outcome there. I'm also stoked for Sky Ferreira making it at #21 - fantastic achievement for her first album. For me it slightly edges out Macca for the top album of this year but very happy for her to be recognised - considering her album hasn't even been out a month and hasn't had a proper worldwide release (I had to order it from her website).

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:07:11 pm »

It's funny, I was listening to "New" at work and was thinking it wasn't getting any respect. It's a pretty strong effort..at least that's what I think about it. I was also thinking that being Paul McCartney isn't easy, cuz he can put out a pretty decent album and nobody really cares. Though, if some 20 something put out the exact same music, it would be considered some sort of brilliant album. At what age do artists become "not cool" anymore?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:32 pm »

At what age do artists become "not cool" anymore?

Lady Gaga's new album 'ARTPOP' flopped massively, so I'd say 27.  :-X

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:37 pm »

Oh jeeze....there's that 27 club number thingy again..yikes.

I was wondering though...is the album any good? I mean, no matter what your wardrobe is,  you gotta back it up with the tunes right?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 02:50:29 am »

I was wondering though...is the album any good? I mean, no matter what your wardrobe is,  you gotta back it up with the tunes right?

I should write a review. For me, it is a massive disappointment. Her gift for writing classic pop masterpieces has deserted her. There are a couple of tracks that are reasonably decent, but on the whole she has ran out of ideas and everything sounds like the same disco/synth beat - which actually sound horribly outdated by the way. I was hoping it would bring out the 'ART' in pop, so to speak - like how 10cc certainly had the 'art' in art rock. I think Gaga has been so consumed by her own celebrity status that she is unable to be musically dangerous and be the artist she tries to outwardly project. I mean, she puts out an image of high art and extreme quirkiness, but the music fails to match that same level of 'crazy' if you know what I mean.

The most earnest stuff on the album sounds like a really bad impression of Jackson Browne doing The Killers, and that's before the disco beat sets in and cheapens it all.

I find it interesting that ARTPOP doesn't even figure a mention in that Rolling Stone list - and usually RS will give due credit to a major artist. It truly is a letdown. Miley Cyrus seems to have successfully taken over that mantle as controversial pop queen, and 'Bangerz' I have to say is a much stronger album than ARTPOP. 'Wrecking Ball' to me reminds me of all those great synthpop new romantic ballads of the early 80s - much like 'Vienna' by Ultravox. I genuinely hold it in high regard, along with a couple of other tracks on Bangerz.

Still.. not a patch on 'NEW' though. Macca really has come out with a wonderful album for 2013.  :D