letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Great Albums That Didn't Get The Love  (Read 2108 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Great Albums That Didn't Get The Love
« on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:07 am »

There's probably a similar thread here somewhere, but oh well.  ;)

I was just thinking about how many great albums have been released that got swept under the carpet.

My first selection is Armchair Theatre by Jeff Lynne. It's just packed with good tunes. I first found it in a delete bin at a department store. One of the best 99 cents I ever spent. It does have a couple of covers on it, but they are well done. Each time I listen to it, I wonder if this is a collection of songs that are leftovers from other projects. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G16MRfqSzC0
Did he write that for Roy Orbison?

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THsMngiJ9P8

Left over Willbury's?

And of course the single you MAY have heard before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYVN6Swp8E

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Great Albums That Didn't Get The Love
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:06:20 pm »

I think "Armchair Theatre", coming after both GH's excellent "Cloud nine" and the Traveling Wilbury's first album, might have found the record buying public on Lynne overload. That said, it's an excellent collection of top-shelf music.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:18:54 pm »

Nick Drake's albums bombed on release they have gradually accumulated a following though.

Keri

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:42:40 pm »

Although Split Enz's "True Colours" was huge in Australia and New Zealand, keeping Pink Floyd's the Wall out of the number one spot, elsewhere it is pretty unknown, it's an excellent slice of 80's pop, snappy and vital.

Keri

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:49:21 pm »

I think Van Dyke Parks album "Jump!" is great, but I don't see it ever becoming popular. It's not one of those albums that you think man why didn't this take off, but it's really clever and really joyful. Kind of a musical that never was.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:53:28 pm »

I'm getting on a roll here. I was speaking to a friend a couple of weeks ago about the Soft Machine album "Softs" the music is really appealing, it is entirely instrumental, but Tubular Bells was a big hit in the seventies & was instrumental. Many years later now and the main writer Karl Jenkins has gone on to become the UK's most popular living composer, yet I don't think huge numbers have yet found "Softs"

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 12:39:12 am »

I'm pretty sure True Colours did well here in Canuckistan. Hey I bought it at least! ;)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:21:59 am »

Although Split Enz's "True Colours" was huge in Australia and New Zealand, keeping Pink Floyd's the Wall out of the number one spot, elsewhere it is pretty unknown, it's an excellent slice of 80's pop, snappy and vital.

Well I have Paul Gambaccini's 'Guinness Hits of the 80s' book and looking up Split Enz and their performance in the UK charts, 'I Got You' got to #12 on the UK singles chart in August 1980, and 'History Never Repeats' made it to #63 in May 1981. The albums 'True Colours' reached a high of #38, and 'Time and Tide' made it to #71.

Not too bad for Split Enz to crack the UK top 20, and they obviously benefited greatly from their experience living in England, along with having David Tickle and Hugh Padgham (later co-producing Macca's 'Press To Play') producing them.

It's a shame they didn't reach greater heights, but the output of Crowded House made up for that. Easily the finest band New Zealand have ever produced.  :D

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 01:51:15 am »

True Colours made it to 10 here....I Got You...Number 0ne. :)

Keri

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:29:56 am »

Yes, I was oversimplifying, checking my Enz history, you're right they were well loved in Canada and made an impression in the UK. Looking up the US chart position I was surprised  that it made it to #40 which is much better than I had thought.

Funny I thought probably Kylenz would be the only other person here who would have heard of it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:10:00 am by Keri »