letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: 1 in 5 Boys Now Diagnosed With ADHD  (Read 2259 times)

2 of 3

• Email
1 in 5 Boys Now Diagnosed With ADHD
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:29:52 pm »

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/1-5-boys-now-diagnosed-adhd-are-we-overdrugging-our-kids?paging=off

After reading this, I'm not sure I agree...or at least...I don't know what would be causing this. Is it our food supply? Is it just over stimulation? Do kids daydream anymore. with their faces always on a computer screen? Too much information that kids don't need to deal with?

Greg

Re: 1 in 5 Boys Now Diagnosed With ADHD
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:36:13 am »

Yeah....you could say so much about this covering so many things.  It's hard to trust something like this because the drug companies have always created a scenario where people need to take something to fix them.  Sometimes they need it.  Many times it's Mother Little Helper.  It's now Junior's Little Helper in many cases.  It's diagnosed in boys about three times more than girls.  Why's that?  I've also met a couple people that were helped by this stuff.  Complicated, complicated issue.  (Alternet.org has a lot of interesting stuff on it.)

chris

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »

I think our food supply has a lot to do with it. it's all steroids and rarely organic. and a constant video stream of games cannot help the matter. my son was diagnosed with it. with the meds he is fine, great, in fact. without? not attentive at all. and it is very real. because I spent plenty of aggravating conversations trying to speak to my son before it was diagnosed.

the doctor who prescribed the meds said everyone, really, could benefit from the meds my son takes. as it makes you focus more on what you should be focusing on. some just have a much tougher time doing it on their own. 
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »

I have to agree, Chris, it's very real. Before we adopted kids, I used to think the only difference between "hyperactive" kids of the sort I saw in school and the ones we now call "ADHD" was the diagnosis....not true. There are always going to be kids who act out all the time...most of them act the way they do because of external reasons that are too numerous to mention here, but there are also a great many who absolutely, positively cannot focus for more than a few seconds on anything, especially if it's something they aren't interested in...many evenings trying to help with homework with marginal success enlightened me. We knew going in there had been a diagnosis of ADHD, but I thought it would just be a matter of a caring parent spending time helping the child to overcome it all. It did improve a little....just a little. All other measureable aspects of the kid's life were on the upswing, just not this. There are a few "natural" focus improvement vitamins and the like available and that's where we are now. It's been a slow improvement, but I can see it. I'll keep you all posted. :)
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:06:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure I have a host of those abbreviations. I can't remember the last time I finished a book...heck...I can barely watch a movie without loosing interest or daydreaming and completely missing the plot.  ??? :o

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:23:28 am »

I agree with all of you and I think it's all a part of the speed of our world and the poisons in our foods. And there is so much money to be made by keeping the big pharma / drug companies steamrolling along and continuously medicating the population. It's just another racket played out on mankind. But here's something interesting I found the other day - the guy who coined ADHD admitted in his last interview before he died - that it is a fake disease!

http://www.worldpublicunion.org/2013-03-27-NEWS-inventor-of-adhd-says-adhd-is-a-fictitious-disease.html