letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The Beatles: The US Albums  (Read 2744 times)

2 of 3

• Email
The Beatles: The US Albums
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:57:28 pm »

So...what's the deal with this boxed set? I don't get it. What's the point again?

kylenz

• Email
Re: The Beatles: The US Albums
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:29:46 am »

Yeah I don't get it either. I would've thought the only point would be to provide the 'alternative' remixes that Capitol did, but I read an article that they will replace each track as applicable with the remastered UK mixes.

I was really disappointed with that, as the only US album I've ever bought was 'Yesterday and Today', and some of the remixes, whilst inferior to the UK counterparts, are interesting and should be preserved from a historical standpoint.

Makes me want to try and hunt down the original vinyl records. I remember seeing 'Beatles 65' and a few others back in the day in the second-hand record stores.

Derek

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:58:49 am »

i really see no pont in this except for nostalgic and apparently after what i heard they even screwed that up by not making the sound EXACTLY like it was on the original U.S. LPs. Whats next the 2 70s compilation albums "Love Songs" and "Rock & Roll Music"?
and if you're gonna do that with the Beatles who's next, Elvis? there was already talk of them RCA rereleasing the Legendary Performer series. oh wow, how original guys, OK why stop there, remember those Candlelight Music box sets "The Elvis Presley Story" and "Memories of Elvis", why don't we put those out on CD, heck even the reprocessed stereo they used back then too. can't you just see the Elvis fans flocking to get thoes babies?! when does this obsession with nostolgia and living in the past stop?
Sorry, i'm clearly on a tangen but you see my point right?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:27:25 am »

I admit it, I bought "Hey Jude" I liked the cover and the album,I used to have it ages ago & kind of missed it, I admit it is a very strange album with 2 really early tracks.

What they really should release is individual album mono versions, although I have the box set, it's crazy you can't buy SGT Pepper mono stand alone.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05:43 am »

Yeah I like 'Hey Jude' too. It runs well as a tracklist. I liked that it had Paperback Writer and Rain on it, along with The Ballad of John & Yoko later on. It's a cool cross-section of Beatle work. And I always dug that they chose 'I Should Have Known Better' as an early track.. somehow it seemed to fit well with the later period songs on it (could never pin down why!).

The other thing I liked about 'Hey Jude' was that it was a deep pressing. The vinyl always sounded so good and loud, had great dynamics. It's been a while since I've played it though. It sure would be good to have a cd of it for sentimental reasons!

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:39:09 am »

I liked Hey Jude because it was a collection of songs that were never on albums(not counting movie soundtracks). I remember seeing in the shops and thinking...this is dumb...I have all these songs. Bought it anyway of course haha.  :)

Derek

Re: The Beatles: The US Albums....and tapes
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:36:55 pm »

i will admit, the differant mixes are interesting. ( i have "Meet The Beatles" and "Yesterday & Today" on vinyl LP) and i have been listing on Youtube. but now i'm confused. apparently there are 4 differant mixes: the U.K. Mono Mix, the U.K. Stereo Mix, the U.S. Mono Mix and the U.S. Stereo Mix. Yall would think the Capitol albums would only use the orginal mom and stereo mixes but... :( Thats what i'm most disapointed about. But here's the MAIN question: What about the tapes (8-tracks and cassettes) which mixes were those? because i remember (it was an Elvis album) i had a record and cassette of the same album but there were 3 or 4 songs on there that had differant mixes on the cassette than on record. And i'm wondering if any Beatles U.S. album/tape differd in mixes.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:09:58 pm »

All I know is....I was so disinterested in this box set that I didn't even bother to illegally download it.  :o ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:35:14 am »

All I know is....I was so disinterested in this box set that I didn't even bother to illegally download it.  :o ;D

Haha!  ;D ;D ;D