letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: New music purchases anyone?  (Read 1932 times)

Greg

New music purchases anyone?
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:20:44 pm »

In case you forgot I only buy vinyl because I have a record player and no CD or mp3 capability on it.
Anyhow.  Recent vinyl...

Zombies.  Great band. 
Villagers.  Awayland album from 2013.
West Coast Experimental Pop Art Band.  1967 release I think.
Gogol Bordello.  Trans-Continental Hustle.

Want...
Modest Mouse Moon and Antarctica.
Pretty Things. SF Sorrow.
Portugal. The Man.  American Ghetto.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: New music purchases anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:47:36 pm »

Most recent purchase was the RAM re-master....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:03:50 am »

Patti Rothberg! It all stemmed from coming across this release on Bandcamp - http://squeakywheel.bandcamp.com/releases and loving it so much I bought it on the spot. From there, I became fascinated with Patti Rothberg's career and how she had some huge hits on a major label and then it folded, made appearances on Letterman and toured the world with some huge acts; a few years later she recorded a masterpiece of a follow-up to her debut ('Candelabra Cadabra'), and has kept a fairly low profile ever since.

My next port of call was 'Candelabra Cadabra' and bought it on the spot -  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/pattirothberg - one of the best albums I have heard in a long long time. A masterpiece of psychedelic rock. There's a superb version of David Bowie's 'Moonage Daydream' on it that will floor the listener!

Going backwards, I finally got her debut 'Between the 1 and the 9', released at a time when Alanis was ruling the world.. and here's this album that from every review I read online, it's become one of their favourite albums ever made that they still love today - people hold fond memories of it. I can see why! While I find it to be a little generic compared to the all-out beautiful sonic assault of 'Candelabra', it's still a very tidy debut album with plenty of great songs and a breeziness to it all. She played all the instruments on it except the drums and she is a fine guitar player in her own right. 

So yeah, Patti Rothberg has been a huge revelation to me in little ole New Zealand where yes we got to hear Alanis Morissette, Meredith Brooks, Tracey Bonham, Joan Osborne, Lisa Loeb - but alas no Patti! Til now!  :D

This is the title track from her 2001 album Candelabra Cadabra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21LDiBdH5rk - really great guitar playing and superb songwriting!

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:17:23 am »

I decided to buy an album each from John's sons

Julian - Everything Changes
Sean - Midnight Sun

I was pleasantly surprised by both of them. Both of them feel genuine, Julian has a sincerity and Sean has some great invention and is pretty cosmic.

I've also been getting back into Led Zeppelin - with a little trepidation but they're such an inventive band, like the Beatles every member was really important.

Greg

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:35 pm »

Most recent purchase was the RAM re-master....

I guy I recently met loaned me the $100+ Ram Special Edition Deluxe Extraordinaire Fantastic Super-Duper CD Book set.
(He also loaned me about 5 other special Mac deluxe sets.) 

The photos and repros are so very very cool.  It's just magical and all the different CDs and stuff.

In the end though they are just cool to look at.  I'm glad I got to see them, but the price is so high I would rather put my $ elsewhere. 

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:29:42 am »

Sean - Midnight Sun

Glad you liked Midnight Sun. For me it still has to be the best album of 2014 so far. They just put out a cool new video for 'Too Deep', so groovy.

And Greg, I've seen Gogol Bordello play live, when I was in LA back in 2011 - they were the support band for System of a Down. They were a good match, as they were like going into a pub in Central Europe somewhere and playing their own brand of folky punk pub songs!! Real stamp-your-feet-and-go-rah-rah-rah! music. And SOAD of course are of a similar flavour with their Armenian influence, but with a more metal and progressive rock slant. It was a great concert. Gogol Bordello were really entertaining!