letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 12 Favourite albums  (Read 5323 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
12 Favourite albums
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:12:36 am »

A little while ago I posted on facebook 12 favourite albums, I only did one from each artist but that isn't a rule, thought I'd share it here & I'd love to see others posting their own lists:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE (1966/2004)
Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
Gong - Gazeuse (1976)
Soft Machine - Softs (1976)
Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (1977)
John Foxx - The Golden Section (1983)
T Rex - Electric Warrior (1971)
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (1976)
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom (1974)
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)
Kevin Ayers - Yes We Have No Mananas (1976)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:37:58 pm by Keri »

2 of 3

• Email
Re: 12 Favourite albums
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 08:28:01 am »

Great thread....gonna have to think on this though.  :)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 03:12:01 pm »

My 12 best can change any time, but as of right now, today:

Pete Townshend- Empty Glass
The Beatles- Revolver
Tal Bachman- Tal Bachman
The Brooklyn Side- Bottle Rockets
11- The Smithereens
Reckless- Bryan Adams
Poppy Seeds- The Corner Laughers
Crowded House- Woodface
Jeff Lynne- Armchair Theatre
Heart- Little Queen
U2- War
Marshall Crenshaw- Jaggedland

If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:35:23 pm »

My 12 best can change any time, but as of right now, today:

The Beatles- Revolver
Tal Bachman- Tal Bachman
The Brooklyn Side- Bottle Rockets
11- The Smithereens
Reckless- Bryan Adams
Crowded House- Woodface
Jeff Lynne- Armchair Theatre
Heart- Little Queen
U2- War
Marshall Crenshaw- Jaggedland

Apart from Revolver the only one of those I have got or have heard is Crowded House - Woodface, Intriguer might be my favourite Crowded House album now but Woodface was and it's a close call. Great album I think having Tim's input just added a bit of extra spice. 

Yes, the albums change all the time apart from my top three. Actually the idea was albums that you'd loved and had a strong impact over time. The ones on my list shaped my musical sensibility, they may still be my 12 favourite. After making my list I got them out and listened through them all, that was a really good experience.

Keri

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »

Great thread....gonna have to think on this though.  :)

Look forward to it. So far there have been zero albums in common.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:54:13 pm »

Every one of those CD's have been revisited by me many times and have always retained the freshness they had when I unwrapped them. I'll write the story of each one some time...

Keri

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 04:58:08 pm »

Every one of those CD's have been revisited by me many times and have always retained the freshness they had when I unwrapped them. I'll write the story of each one some time...

Cool, yes I think it is good to start with a list but it is better to give it some substance.

The way i thought about my list was that the album needed to have made a big impression upon me and to have lived well, so yes repeated dedicated playing. None of my albums feels over played by me, but I have never listened to them through as a group before.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:09:30 pm by Keri »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 05:49:14 pm »

Go back to 1980....this album, and the single "Let My Love Open the Door", was the soundtrack of that summer. That's the summer when I began to "stretch my legs" as an independent person, riding my bike all over the new neighborhood we moved into. I read the book adaptation of "Empire Strikes Back" with this album playing in the background. Later, when I was in high school, "LMLOTD" was my companion when I was pursuing the lady who became my wife...I played the cassette of this album in the car on our first date. She must have dug it.....

Looking back, I think the production is kinda thin and compressed, but the tunes are still too strong to be held back by that. I've always thought of "Empty Glass" as a Who album with some exceptions. It being a Townshend solo record gives it a more personal edge that I liked.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 05:53:08 pm »

Beatles- Revolver

http://letstalkbeatles.com/Beatles_Blogs/index.php?topic=21.0

I should mention I was given this album in two different media on the same day.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 08:29:40 pm »

1.       The Beatles – Abbey Road (1969)
2.       The Beatles – Revolver (1966)
3.       Urge Overkill – Saturation (1993)
4.       The Beatles – White Album (1968)
5.       Paul McCartney & Wings – Band on the Run (1973)
6.       The Bangles – Different Light (1986)
7.       George Harrison – All Things Must Pass (1970)
8.       Nirvana – Nevermind (1991)
9.       System of a Down – Toxicity (2001)
10.   Soundgarden – Superunknown (1994)
11.   The Beatles – Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
12.   Ladyhawke – Ladyhawke (2008)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 08:44:09 pm »

1 per artist-
1.       The Beatles – Abbey Road (1969)
2.       Urge Overkill – Saturation (1993)
3.       The Bangles – Different Light (1986)
4.       Nirvana – Nevermind (1991)
5.       System of a Down – Toxicity (2001)
6.       Soundgarden – Superunknown (1994)
7.       Ladyhawke – Ladyhawke (2008)
8.       Panic At The Disco – Pretty. Odd (2008)
9.       Stone Temple Pilots -  Tiny Music...Songs FromThe Vatican Gift Shop (1996)
10.   Elliott Smith – Figure 8 (2000)
11.   Siouxsie and the Banshees – Juju (1981)
12.   Muse – Black Holes and Revelations (2007)

Keri

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 11:28:06 pm »

Good idea Kyle to include the years, just went and edited my post to include them and they're nearly all 70's, showing my age although as I said these were all albums that I'd lived with and continued to have a connection. There are later albums that i love, though most of them are from older artists.

If we go with your 1 per artist list I think we still have no double ups. The only one of yours I've spent much time with (excluding Abbey Rd of course) is Siouxsie and the Banshees – Juju (1981), it was my favourite of theirs, a long time since I've listened to it now though.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »

Tal Bachman- Tal Bachman

I picked this CD up based soley upon having seen the video for the first single, "She's So High"....I thought it was a very creative song and the video took it in a different direction. I'd never heard of Tal Bachman, but I totally dug the tune, so I took a risk and was well rewarded with a full CD of great "heavy pop", crunchy guitars allied to a snappy rhythym section and slathered in neat melodies. All of this at a time when I was lamenting the state of the music industry, that there were no good bands anymore. Repeated listenings of this CD have done nothing to diminish my love for it....I still think it's one of the best in the last 15 years.

The Brooklyn Side- The Bottle Rockets

This band I found when I was working in St, Louis in 1994...the were playing a club there called Blueberry Hill. Loved the band, but forgot about them until they played Music Midtown here in ATL. The set floored me and I went out and bought this CD, a mix of rockers and Americana inspired ballads. The band's songwriter, Brian Henneman, has a keen eye for details and a wonderful way of expressing them. Characters come to the fore as if you KNOW them and the production is clean and true. Not a bad cut on it.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 01:04:53 pm »

11- The Smithereens

I've been a fan of New Jersey's Smithereens since their debut album "Especially For You". In making this list, I knew there MUST be a selection by these guys and the one that really stood out was this. "11" perfectly encapsulates when this band is all about: Well-constructed pop gems, fully-formed lyrics and a slight melancholy that keeps things from getting too giddy. The band are all Beatles fans as well....BONUS!

Reckless- Bryan Adams

Another "life era" album, "Reckless" was a staple in my car's tape player during my junior and senior years of high school. I would listen to it and think, "These songs are so perfect....if you added or subtracted ONE thing, it would be ruined". I still believe the single "Run To You", subject matter aside, to be one of the top 5 singles of the 80's...no mean feat. Sold by the bucketload, too.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 01:05:24 pm »

I could have sworn I'd posted something about this band here already, but the search says no....here it is then:

This CD is EASILY the most recent album on my list, having been released in 2012. The thing I love about these interwebs is that someone you never met or knew can tip you off to something new and great...so it is with this one. The Corner Laughers are based in San Francisco and this album is a kind of love letter to their hometown. "Poppy Seeds" is their third full length release and is achingly pretty in places and puckishly funny in others. The band is fronted by a librarianesque ukelele-playing gal who writes lyrics with a literary bent, but the rhythym section keeps their sound from becoming too twee. Melodicism is the order of the day....a must check out band.
Pages: [1] 2