letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: computer question...  (Read 1785 times)

Derek

computer question...
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:58:39 pm »

i can not get on facebook on my computer, only on the ipad. when i try to get on facebook i get either "503 Service Unavailable", "Unable to connect to the proxy server". do yall know what that means? i have been haveing alot of computer issues lately.
first it prompted me to update itunes and i did then it froze, then i totaly had to reinstall but it took a few tries, then (with some help from someone) i looked in task manager and found there were 22 programs running on my com that starts automaticly when i start my computer. then after i got my itunes fixed a week later my com seem to froze up so i had to do an emergency shutdown meaning i had to push the power button off while i could not get the "Start menu" up and shut down from there. and then i restarted my com it had to do a CHKDSK thing but it froze in the middle of that so i rebooted again, this time i skipped the CHKDSK  and it started but my enire itunes library and playlists were erased (i still had my music file, at least) but i had to start all over again. (it wasn't hard this time because i had the itunes playlists and library exported to a portable drive)
but then my internet kept running slow. i have to use an internet booster because my wifi antenna is weak. plus theres other stuff going on i can not explain. in the meantime, everytime i start my com, it wants to CHKDSK, but i bypass because if i let it CHKDSK, it'll freeze in the middle of it.
seriosly, am i about to lose my computer?

kylenz

• Email
Re: computer question...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:42:35 am »

hmmm... my first inclination would be to check for malware/viruses.. so I would do a trendmicro housecall online scan and see what turns up. I'd also run a scan with malwarebytes and also ccleaner. If everything comes through clean, I'd eliminate a software issue and assume it's a hardware thing. In that case, I'd slave the hard drive across to another machine and copy of any music/files that absolutely need to be backed up. And then I'd either replace the hard drive, or if I tracked it down to a motherboard issue or something else then I'd just ditch the computer altogether and buy a new pc.

It's all basically a process of elimination. Maybe take it to a local pc tech and get it dealt with. Good luck!

Derek

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:24:41 am »

I use Avast antiviris. i did a quick scan (a full system scan would take about 12 hours and it's not safe to keep my com laptop running for that long, but i can scan folder by folder to, since most viruses show up in "Program files", "Program Files (x86)" and "Documents" i just do thoroughl scan on those) and one virus showd up. i deleted it.
I was told sometimes Facebook is weird because sometimes it would work on the ipad but not on the laptop. (like mine was doing yesterday.) i guess it has something to do with Facebook being just an app on the ipad. I hope this is not the end of my com, because i am not the one who has to buy these things when they foul up. (that will lead to a whole other story  :( )
i already have my music, videos, pics back up on CDs, data CDs and a portable drive, so i'm good there. there's a differance between recorded CDS you burn and can play in your mp3/ CD player and data CDs i found out. Even though i scanned everything i ever downloaded. even is the music files have malware attached to them, it alot better to burn them reguraly onto a playble reordable CD than just put them on a data CD. becaues if you rip it back on your com, it will be just like ripping a regular store bought album CD. thats my theory, am i correct?)
I guess i would not mind just doing Facebook on the ipad, but what is happening with this comlaptop is scaring me. My brother in law says he will take it down and have it lookd at.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:01:15 am by Derek »

Derek

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:28:22 am »

(btw, i just got a 503 error message while trying to post my last reply, so it's not just facebook, but it's mainly facebook.)

Derek

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 02:47:19 pm »

Well, i went for a walk, came back, turned on my com.... all websites say unable to connect to the proxy server. Now im typing on this ipad, my only source for internet. Could this be the end of my comlaptop? :(

Derek

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:32:08 pm »

Computer is connected again! but this was not an internet connection problem, it was my computer. and i believe it has something to do with Hotshield. since i live in Mexico, we have mexican Netflix. but we use Hotsheild to get into American Netflix... but Hotshield does something to the internet settings. but that only my theory. I am just going to stick with Mexican Netflix, afterall you can change the language on it, but it will have spanish subtitles. only things is there are some movies wich only American Netflix has, thats why my brotherinlaw got Hotsheild for all of us. From now on i'm keeping the Hotshield OFF and sticking with Mexican Netflix.

just a thoery though.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:16:26 pm »

Ahh that makes sense. It must've been screwing around with your computer's ip settings etc, making sites like facebook etc unreachable.

Derek

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 04:23:11 pm »

In order not to clutter up the board something else weird is happening. i first discovered it it on Facebook., this is the only way i can get on Facebook on my com, i have to go to my Yahoo email account, go to inbox click on a notice from Facebook, get on from there. if i try to get on normaly i get a "503 Service unavailable" error, but i can get on normaly on the ipad. also i have a problem. Most of the time i can not get on Youtube i get "503 Service unavailable" I use Google Chrome which also has a incognito window. I'm not signed in to Youtube in that window. i also use an ipad, i'm nor signed in there either. BUT i can search and watch videos on the ipad and the incogintio window, i just can not send messages or comments (because i'm not signed in) It seems i can not get into youtube at all when i'm signed in, but only when i'm not signed in. I know its hard to understand, its hard to explain.
i'm a little worried because this sounds like it could be a hackjob. because it involves my accounts.